Action Sports Spotlight – The Tony Alva Story presented by VANS
61-year-old Tony Alva is considered by many to be the godfather of modern day skateboarding. Alva’s brand of aggression and bravado paved the way for skating as we know it. This film chronicles Tony Alva's humble beginnings on the streets of Santa Monica to his rise to superstardom as part of the legendary Z-Boys, a punk skater subculture. His inevitable implosion and his ultimate rise from the ashes to accept his rightful place as a beacon of hope has given inspiration for generations of skateboarders all over the world.
An interactive panel featuring skateboard legend Tony Alva, Jeff Grosso, directors Rick Charnoski and Coan "Buddy" Nichols will follow the screening.
This film plays with:
Tickets to this film can be bought on their own or with a Saturday Centerpiece Party ticket.
Upcoming Events › Saturday Centerpiece Party
Please join us for the Newport Beach Film Festival’s Saturday Night Spotlight Celebration at Via Lido Plaza hosted by Vans. Guests will be treated to entertainment and d’oeuvres prepared by award-winning Orange County restaurants, and a hosted bar by Tito’s Vodka, Cape Line and Peroni. Tickets to this Gala can be bought on their own or with Saturday Centerpiece films.
Sponsors & Partners
Date:Saturday, 27th April
Cost:$20 – $65
Event Category:Action Sports
- Lido Theater
3459 Via Lido
Newport Beach, CA 92663 United States
- (949) 673-8350
- Coan "Buddy" Nichols, Rick Charnoski
- Vans, Six Stair, Coan "Buddy" Nichols, Rick Charnoski, Jamie Reilly, Nick Street, Bobby Gascon, Nate Rogers, Chris Nieratko, Christian White
- Coan "Buddy" Nichols, Rick Charnoski, Christian White
- Christian White
- Bradley Weems, Coan Buddy Nichols, Rick Charnoski
- Josh Landau, Eliminator
- Tony Alva, Jeff Grosso, Steve Olson, Shepard Fairy, Gus Van Sant, Josh Brolin, Jeff Ament, Glen E Friedman, Robert Trujillo, Brad Bowman, Pete Zehnder, Jeff Ho, Stacey Peralta
- Country of Origin
- Year Completed
- Running Time