Vision and Craft: The Art of Filmmaking
Saturday, April 28th and Sunday, April 29th 2018
With the generous support of the City of Newport Beach Arts Commission, the Newport Beach Film Festival is proud to present a series of interactive panels and seminars that focus on the art and process of filmmaking and entertainment.
This free educational event will feature talented and distinguished film industry professionals. The Festival invites you to attend and go behind the scenes with some of the industry’s leading filmmakers as they share their extensive knowledge and insight into the business and art of today’s entertainment industry.
Saturday, April 28th
11:00am – 12:30pm Variety Cinematography Master Class and Panel Presented by Zeiss
Join us for back-to-back discussions with Variety as they host an insightful conversation with their “Top Cinematographers to Watch,” which will then be followed by a look into the career of their Billion Dollar Cinematographer,
- Zoë White (The Handmaid’s Tale)
- Paul Ozgur (The Wound)
- Andrew Schulkind (The Ritual)
- Alan Poon (Kodachrome)
- Paula Huidobro (Barry, Grown-ish)
- Jonathan Sela (Deadpool 2, Atomic Blonde, John Wick)
1:00pm – 2:00pm Careers in Entertainment Presented by Schiefer ChopShop
- Ken Anderson (Schiefer ChopShop)
- Graham Nash (VANS)
- Pam Glennon (Senior Producer)
- Trip Taylor (Nitro Circus)
- Brandon Ruta (Schiefer Chopshop)
3:00pm – 4:00pm Screenwriting Seminar
From X-Men: First Class to Thor: The Dark World, we sit down with Ashley Miller and discuss career highlights and upcoming projects.
- Kevin Ott – Moderator (Geek and Sundry, Austin Film Festival)
- Ashley Miller (X-Men- First Class, Thor: 2, Black Sails, Fringe)
4:30pm – 5:30pm Building a Career in Animation Presented by Women In Animation
Looking to start your career in animation? Learn from top industry professionals on how to get started, opportunities, and turning your passion to a career.
- Jinko Gotoh (Women In Animation – Vice Chair, Lego 2)
- Kendal Cronkhite (Trolls, Antz, Madagascar, The Nightmare Before Christmas)
- Ramsey Naito (Boss Baby, Paramount Animation)
- Edie Ichioka (The Boxtrolls, Toy Story 2)
Sunday, April 29th
1:00pm -2:00pm Diversity in Film and TV Music Presented by Costa Communications
- Ray Costa – Moderator (Costa Communications)
- Pinar Toprak (Krypton TV, Justice League)
- Blake Neely (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl,)
- Marco Beltrami (Logan, 3:10 to Yuma. A Quiet Place)
- Carlos José Alvarez (9, American)
- Alex Geringas (Pitch Perfect 3, Trolls: The Beat Goes On!)
3:00pm-4:00pm Heroes of the Editing Room: Editing Panel
Come hear from top industry editors as they discuss the challenges and process of editing and bringing to life some of your favorite superhero movies.
- Scott Arundale – Moderator (Chapman University)
- Zene Baker (Thor: Ragnarok)
- Craig Alpert (Deadpool 2)
- Debbie Berman (Black Panther, Spider-man: Homecoming)
All panels will be held at the Newport Beach Civic Center in the Community Room. The Seminar Series is FREE. No tickets are required. Seating is on a first come, first served basis. Free on-site parking available. Please note there will be a city event and to access the seminars, attendees will need to enter the Bristol/Library parking lot.
*Panelists are subject to change*
The Festival would like to dedicate the 2018 Newport Beach Film Festival Seminar Series to Arnold Kunert.