The Theater Operations volunteers host each venue and consider the theater their home! This team handles all tasks within the theater from taking tickets, ushering, light cleaning and handing out ballots. Venue Leaders and Volunteer Coordinators will guide the team during their shift. Please be prepared to help as needed in a variety of tasks (see Task List). For specific instructions, please refer to Venue Leader and Q&A staff. You will work alongside a Production Crew, who will set up and tear down for Q&A.
- Greet and usher patrons
- Inform patrons of Q&A
- Take tickets
- Count guests
- Manage lines and crowds
- Theater rules (cell phones, etc.)
- Manage ballots (collect, count etc.)
- Maintain clean work area and lobby
- Direct guests to appropriate locations
- Assure filmmakers and guests feel welcome!
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Outgoing and friendly personality
- Must be able to take directions from different leads
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Shifts are a minimum 3 hours, maximum 4 hours
- Be available all week
- Volunteers under 18 years old must submit a signed parental consent form.
When You Arrive
- Clock in on Shiftboard App upon arrival
- Check-in with Venue Coordinator for updates and instructions
- Take note of your surroundings (theater layout, restroom locations, emergency exits, etc.)
- Introduce yourself to the other NBFF staff and volunteers
- Familiarize yourself with the daily screening schedule
Before You Leave
- If you are assisting a screening, please complete the assignment before you leave
- Clean up and organize the work area for the next shift
- Ensure the next volunteers are familiar with their duties and responsibilities. Do your best to answer their questions
- Check-out with Venue Coordinator at the end of your shift
- Clock out on the Shiftboard App!